Teen Programmers Unite  


Return to forum top

bitblt api in vb

Posted by iCARUS [send private reply] at August 20, 2002, 07:23:02 AM

Hey, im new here but this place seems like the right place to get some advice :)
Anywho, i just need some help with bitblt and collision, as i want to start coding an rpg in vb, if you could help me with this you could email me "aphex@rise.as" or send me an im via aim my un is "iNFiNiTiE" ....
Thanks, hope someone can help :)

Posted by AnyoneEB [send private reply] at August 20, 2002, 12:19:46 PM

This is a forum, ask a question and someone will reply in this thread. If you have a question on VB look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/ before asking a question.
Sry, but I don't know any VB, and I didn't see a question to anwser anyways.

Posted by CodeRed [send private reply] at August 20, 2002, 12:37:20 PM

bitblt stands for "bit blast", I think it refers to using memory to store a matrix representing the colors of the pixels of the next frame so that they can be sent to the monitor instantly, it's used in double and triple buffering. That's all I know, and as EB said, don't tell us to email you, it's a pain in the ass, if anyone is going to reply it will be here, you asked the question, you should be the one inconveninced to get the answers, not us to give them.

Posted by eXorcus [send private reply] at August 20, 2002, 12:42:17 PM

The simplest form of collision detection I can think of would be to simply check your x and y coords against the bounds of the object you're checking. IE:
if playerX >= objLeft and playerX <= objRight and playerY >= objTop and playerY <= objBottom then
' Collision detected...do something!
end if

Posted by CViper [send private reply] at August 20, 2002, 02:11:03 PM

Just a little correction: bitblt stands for bit blit :) A "blit" is simply the process of copying a portion of (in this case) pixels to a destination buffer.

Usually you can apply some filters and stuff to you blits; stuff like transparency keys, alpha blending/masks...

Posted by CodeRed [send private reply] at August 21, 2002, 11:21:24 PM

Huh, makes sense but I heard different, can't believe everything you read online I guess

Posted by CViper [send private reply] at August 21, 2002, 11:50:29 PM

Nah read that in a couple of books :) And the MSDN also calls it "blit", but then ... who knows with microsoft :)

Posted by buzgub [send private reply] at August 22, 2002, 01:13:51 AM

http://www.google.com/search?q=game+vb+tutorial returns some promising results. Google is your friend; learn to use it well.

Posted by sphinX [send private reply] at August 22, 2002, 05:42:26 PM

It is indeed blit, and in the days of earlier DOS graphics programming, referred to transfering a buffer to the video ram. I remember spending long and tedious hours optimizing my asm blit routines, particularly for programs in higher graphics modes using VESA. Now we have OpenGL and DirectX to do things like that for us.

You must be logged in to post messages and see which you have already read.

Log on
Save for later automatic logon

Register as a new user
Copyright TPU 2002. See the Credits and About TPU for more information.