TPU ChatChat on IRC
Internet Relay Chat?
Java Applet client
Who's on IRC?
My Python Questions
Posted by ken [send private reply] at January 03, 2003, 05:44:10 PM I have a few simple questions I was hoping people here could help me with.
1. What's a Python "Shell or just a Shell". I always hear those terms.
2. The Python that I downloaded "Macpython222 Active" can run on MacOSX. It said at the end that it would have some trouble doing something, I think it was automatically installing Carbon. Do I need to use Carbon to get Python to work?
3. After trying a script on IDE, I tried to go Edit, Run script...but Run script wasn't there. I saved, so what's wrong?
Posted by gian [send private reply] at January 03, 2003, 08:27:35 PM 1) When you type "python" at a command line, you are faced with a prompt something like ">>>". That is a python shell.
2) I have no experience with MacOS X, so I have no idea.
3) IDE is a general term for "Integrated Development Environment". I presume you mean the standard python IDE, IDLE. Are you sure Run Script is in Edit? Seems like a funny place to put it. I haven't really used IDLe beyond glancing at it, so I can't help with this one either.
Posted by ken [send private reply] at January 03, 2003, 10:32:40 PM Well, the tutorial I read said it's in Edit. It's not however. I tried emailing the guy, because I didn't have IDLE it was IDE. He replied with a copy of my Email. A command line is just where I type stuff like if I type in 1+1 in the command line Python will reply with >>>2 and that's a shell right?
Posted by gian [send private reply] at January 04, 2003, 04:09:19 AM I imagine he took your questions as annoying questions, and you are lucky you even got your email back!
Btw. Excellent language choice: Python is a good way to get into SML.
Posted by ken [send private reply] at January 04, 2003, 02:07:29 PM Meh...he could of answered them...I wonder how he'll send back my automated Email message back. SML is another language?
Posted by AnyoneEB [send private reply] at January 04, 2003, 02:22:37 PM Yes, SML is another programing language.
Posted by ken [send private reply] at January 04, 2003, 10:33:01 PM This may sound stupid...and it is. My Python IDE is stuck in my dock. When I open it up, I get the PYTHON sign and the Copyright info, then it just goes straight to my dock and I can't see the place where I type my things and run it. The program still runs, I just can't see it. When it's in the dock I double click it and nothing happens.
Posted by CDR700 [send private reply] at January 05, 2003, 10:25:54 AM There might be an Active Python ditribution for Mac OS10. Active Python is generally better for the user freindly operating systems and it comes with some sort of cool IDE ( or so i've heard ).
I got python confused with MatLab once as they were open in two windows (long ago when i was bored and messing with programming languages), so Python is a good way of getting into Matlab.
Register as a new user